Did you know that the average person will move 11 times in their lifetime? And that each time, it takes an average of 42 days to get fully settled in? Moving is a big undertaking, and it’s something that most of us will do several times throughout our lives. But even if you’ve moved before, there are probably some things about moving that you don’t know.
Check out these 10 fun facts and stats about moving – some of them may surprise you!
1. Moving is one of the most stressful life events. According to a 2006 study, moving was identified as the third-most stressful life event after death and divorce.
2. Americans move a lot! A 2017 survey found that 10 percent of participants moved within the past year; 20 percent had moved in the last three years; and 40 percent had moved within the past five years.
3. Moving isn’t cheap! The average cost of a long-distance move is around $4,300 with local moves costing closer to $2,300.
4. DIYers are on the rise when it comes to moving. In 2018, 27 million households were reported to have completed their own move.
5. It’s not uncommon to move around the same area. In fact, a 2017 survey found that 28 percent of participants had moved within the same city or county at least twice in their lifetime.
6. Moving has certain benefits when it comes to finding a job. A 2016 study revealed that those who have moved for work reasons were more likely to find employment than those who had never moved before.
7. When it comes to packing, procrastination is common! Miracle Movers serving Mississauga can make this less stressful for you. The average person leaves about two weeks for packing and unpacking for their move — even though most moving companies recommend starting the process four to six weeks in advance.
8. You may want to consider renting a storage unit when moving and hire reputable movers so that they provide safe and secure transportation of all your belongings. A 2017 survey found that more than 10 percent of participants had used a self-storage unit while moving within the same city or county.
9. Moving with the help of chiefmovingsd.com can be an exciting opportunity to experience something new! According to a 2018 survey, 60 percent of people reported feeling excited about their move instead of overwhelmed.
10. More than one out of three Americans are willing to sacrifice living space for a better job and community amenities — that’s 37 percent! In 2017, it was reported that 36 million people moved due to work reasons in search for higher salaries and better quality of life.
In conclusion, moving may be one of the most stressful life events but it can also open up a host of opportunities. Whether you decide to move around the same city or across the country, it’s important to plan ahead and research your options in order to make the process as smooth as possible. With these 10 fun facts and stats about moving, you’ll be ready for any adventure that comes your way!